loading ...
spinner

In the hamlet of Biberegg, you will find the historic Loreto Chapel, named after the famous pilgrimage site of Loreto in Italy. Consecrated in 1701, the chapel is a replica of the home of the holy family in Nazareth.

Chapel under preservation order

It is believed that a mighty castle used to stand on the site of today’s chapel. In 1679, the chief magistrate of Schwyz, Wolfgang Dietrich von Reding ab Biberegg, called for the erection of a chapel on the site of the old castle tower at Biberegg. The cornerstone was laid that same year. To this day, the Loreto Chapel is owned by the foundation set up by the Reding family. The small hamlet (the Loreto Chapel, chaplaincy house and two manor houses) is subject to a preservation order and on the ‘inventory of places of national significance worthy of protection’.

Association with Loreto

The Loreto Chapel is also of great spiritual significance. In 1807, Pope Pius VII associated the chapel with the Basilica of the Holy House in Loreto by Ancona. Since then, a pilgrimage to Biberegg has been associated with the same indulgences as a pilgrimage to Loreto in Italy.

 

Location and contact

Unio Virginis Lauretanæ
Biberegg 15
6418 Rothenthurm
041 818 30 02
ehrenkaplanloreto.ch
loreto.ch/www.loreto.ch/Loreto_Biberegg.html

Loreto Chapel in Biberegg

1 / 5
2 / 5
3 / 5
4 / 5
5 / 5
×