Auslandschweizerplatz, literally ‘square of the Swiss living abroad’ symbolises the connection with their home country of the more than 746,000 Swiss people living abroad.
In 1856, the then-proprietor of the Hotel Weisses Rössli, Fridolin Fassbind, began to purchase a series of gardens between the River Leewasser and the lake towards ‘Wehrihaggen’. In 1870, he built the Hotel Waldstätterhof on the section of land closest to the village. In December 1905, Fassbind purchased the ‘Wehrihaggen’ (a pier with a section of shallow water on the landward side) from the district of Schwyz at auction. Over the course of decades from 1906 onwards, this spit of land was banked up; a strong supporting wall had to be built to secure the approximately 5,400 m
The ‘Auslandschweizerplatz Brunnen’ foundation was set up in 1988. Donations made by Swiss citizens living abroad as well as funding from the Swiss government made it possible to acquire the site in 1989. The granite donors’ plaque at the entrance of the square commemorates the generous contributors from Switzerland and abroad. The Auslandschweizerplatz is the venue of regular public and private functions. It can be hired for events.